Deprecated (16384): The ArrayAccess methods will be removed in 4.0.0.Use getParam(), getData() and getQuery() instead. - /home/brlfuser/public_html/src/Controller/ArtileDetailController.php, line: 150
 You can disable deprecation warnings by setting `Error.errorLevel` to `E_ALL & ~E_USER_DEPRECATED` in your config/app.php. [CORE/src/Core/functions.php, line 311]
Deprecated (16384): The ArrayAccess methods will be removed in 4.0.0.Use getParam(), getData() and getQuery() instead. - /home/brlfuser/public_html/src/Controller/ArtileDetailController.php, line: 151
 You can disable deprecation warnings by setting `Error.errorLevel` to `E_ALL & ~E_USER_DEPRECATED` in your config/app.php. [CORE/src/Core/functions.php, line 311]
Warning (512): Unable to emit headers. Headers sent in file=/home/brlfuser/public_html/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Error/Debugger.php line=853 [CORE/src/Http/ResponseEmitter.php, line 48]
Warning (2): Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/brlfuser/public_html/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Error/Debugger.php:853) [CORE/src/Http/ResponseEmitter.php, line 148]
Warning (2): Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/brlfuser/public_html/vendor/cakephp/cakephp/src/Error/Debugger.php:853) [CORE/src/Http/ResponseEmitter.php, line 181]
LATEST NEWS UPDATES | Surrendered Naxals admit to forced vasectomy

Surrendered Naxals admit to forced vasectomy

Share this article Share this article
published Published on Jan 31, 2012   modified Modified on Jan 31, 2012
-The Indian Express
 
As they were produced before the media following their surrender before the police at Kanker on Monday evening, top Naxals for the first time admitted publicly what has been an unconfirmed rumour in Bastar — the insurgents are forced to undergo vasectomy by their leaders, mostly based in Andhra Pradesh. All the four men who surrendered on Monday had undergone the operation.

Three women Naxals also surrendered on Monday.

“This is human rights violation of the worst kind. Naxals, both men and women, often force their cadres for this operation so that they do not have children and remain in camps, away from normal family life. Tribals in Chhattisgarh often face such treatment by their Andhra counterparts,” Kanker SP Rahul Bhagat said.

The surrendered Naxals are East Bastar Division Committee member Sunil Kumar Matlam and his wife Jaini alias Jayanti, Partapur area committee member Ramdas, Panidobir local organisational squad deputy commander Susheela, Sitapur LOS commander Jaylal and his wife Asmani alias Sanay, and member of platoon number 25 of Raoghat area, Samo Mandvi.

The SP said this is among the most prominent surrenders in the last few years, and in terms of designation of Naxals, the biggest in the state so far. “This is the first time that a member of a divisional committee surrendered in Chhattisgarh,” Bhagat said.

The police had been working with them for over a year and the surrender followed a rapport Naxals have developed with the force. “Kanker police have registered good surrenders in the last 18 months. Six months ago a commander surrendered with an SLR. Naxals have now come to trust the police more than ever. It’s a very positive sign,” he said.

“The surrendered ultras carry a cash reward of varying amounts from Rs 5,000 to Rs 3 lakh,” Bastar range Inspector General of Police Lang Kumer said.

Sunil was active in Corer area and faces 46 cases, while Jayanti has cases of murder, robbery and arson against her.

The surrender came following dispute with leaders in Andhra Pradesh. “They face discrimination on regional lines. Also, they realised the futility of their operations,” said Bhagat.

The police have plans for their rehabilitation, and Rs 1.5 lakh each will be deposited in their account to be given after three years. At present, they are in police custody and will be produced before court on Tuesday. “There are over 80 warrants pending against them. But we will try to get them bail so that they can lead a normal life,” Bhagat added.


The Indian Express, 31 January, 2012, http://www.indianexpress.com/news/surrendered-naxals-admit-to-forced-vasectomy/905897/


Related Articles

 

Write Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Video Archives

Archives

share on Facebook
Twitter
RSS
Feedback
Read Later

Contact Form

Please enter security code
      Close